I made this dish a few weeks ago, and got a lot of requests for the recipe. In this dish the chicken is first seared to seal in the juices, and to add a golden color. Then, it gets braised in a combo of stock, white wine, and finally, finished in the oven for added depth and color.
This is by far one of my favorite chicken dishes, and based on the comments from the people that eat it, it is definitely a winner!
- 1 whole pastured chicken, broken down – cut each breast into two or three pieces
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp high heat cooking oil – Refined peanut, or refined coconut oil
- 1 cup creminis mushrooms chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, veg stock or water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme or 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 flat leaf parsley - roughly chopped for garnish
- Season chicken with sea salt, cumin, and pepper
- In a deep frying pan, pan sear chicken pieces until lightly browned
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside
- Drain oil from the pan and discard
- Add 2 tbsp. olive oil into the pan and sauté mushrooms, 3-5 minutes or until golden
- Add onion and sauté, 2-3 minutes until translucent
- Add minced garlic and herbs, and sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Put the chicken back into the pan with the stock, wine, and zest, and bring all ingredients to a boil
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 20-30 minutes
- Uncover and place into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes to deepen color
- Plate, and garnish with parsley
Separate chicken from liquid, whisk in a tbsp of butter, and reduce until your sauce has the desired consistency.
The key to making cooking easy is to always have your ingredients ready, or as they say in the culinary world, “Mise en Place,” which translates to everything in its place. If you organize yourself on the front end the rest is easy.
I promise you this is one tasty chicken recipe. Go make this, and let us know in the comments how it worked out for you. Happy eating!